Monday, July 13, 2009

You Can Learn A Lot From TV


I was trying to keep my eyes open Friday night while lying on Andrea's couch when a comedian on TV caught my interest. We had just eaten dinner at Mikados and returned to Kevin & Andrea's house for some action packed card games, which didn't actually happen because Andrea fell asleep.

Okay, okay, it was me alright? I fell asleep. I ruined the evening okay? Don't act like you're surprised.

But back to the comedian. Before I dozed off this comedian went into a bit about his relationship with his wife and married couples in general. It seems that women are constantly battling to get their husbands to help out more around the house.


Um, duh!


He relayed a story about when he was a bachelor sharing an apartment with his roommates and how much easier it was to get them to clean. All he had to do was walk into the living room while his roommate was watching TV and say:


"Hey Dick! Do the the dishes!"


The roommate would say "Hey, who ya callin a dick?" on his way to the kitchen and guess what? He would do the dishes every time. So the comedian suggested that this is the way wives need to get their husbands to do the dishes, instead of whining and yelling and talking about it over and over.





Fast forward to Saturday morning

I'm making the bed when I look over at the mountain of Al's stuff that has accumulated on our dresser. He uses the dresser as his "catch all" space and it has been slowly driving me insane. I cringe at the site of all his receipts, paper, books, coins, golf tees, used condoms, and hats.


I'm kidding people, there are no books, why would Al have any books?


So Al gets home from golfing and thinks that he is going to start playing video games. Ya know, like ya do after golfing.


Golfing is hard.




















I am now in the kitchen thinking, no way in hell is he gonna sit and play video games when there is a dresser sitting there taunting me with it's filthiness! So I casually stroll past the bedroom and say,


"Hey Dick! Clean off the dresser!"


And then I continue on my way. Minutes later, the dresser is spotless.

44 comments:

Anonymous said...

No frickin way!!! I must use this approach!! If this works you are a genius, well maybe the comedian is, but you are a by-product of that genius!

Jon and Steph said...

Get out.... seriously! That's awesome!

Suzi said...

It worked? Nice. Need to try this on Jeff.

Used condoms? Really? That is a lovely image you drummed up. Hopefully empty of all contents.

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha! I need to try this! Perfect.

Love the new blog design.

St. Jeor Family said...

That is awesome!!! I will have to give that a shot!

Paging Doctor Mommy said...

I HAVE TO TRY THAT!

brokenteepee said...

Does this work with goats?

Andrea Harper said...

Maybe next time we hang out I should say...

"Hey DICK, stop falling asleep"

Just sayin.

HAR HAR HAR. Love your ass

The Wife O Riley said...

Do you have say Dick or can you use penis?

Kathy B! said...

People the world over will be singing the glory and praise of your wisdom for introducing us to this, um, technique!

I'm gonna try it just to see the look on my hubby's face :)

Kristina P. said...

I am SOOOO doing this. But it will be, "Hey, Dick, clean off the futon, the floor, the dresser, and the counter!"

Amy said...

I am so trying that! Thanks for the great tip :-) And I love the new blog, looks great!

Janelle said...

LMAO!!

Jen said...

seriously!?! that worked!? I so need to try this! wonder if the males need to be a certain age for it will work on the younger version?

Rebecca Jo said...

I've gotta try it now!

BTW - like your new look.. so chic!

Dolly said...

I'm not a crude language kinda' person-but I definitely start laughing when you post stories...and I can totally relate! I just cleaned off my hubbies dresser last week:) I'm wondering just what he would of done...if I had called him the nick- name for Richard:)

We just had a long discussion on J. Golden Kimble this morning. That's his crutch for using the word heck!

Lee said...

I LOVE that!! Something I have to try!

Nana said...

Really? Maybe just hearing the word Dick gets them moving. Well I am for sure going to stop saying "Hey Prick do the dishes!" Maybe this Dick thing is the key.

I know I should not have said that but sometimes I just can't control myself.

Linds Forrest said...

I really think you are one of the funniest people!! LOVE IT!! ha ha

Lee said...

Holy crap... if that actually works, you may have just opened up many new possibilities for women.

mommakin said...

Nuh uh!

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

That. Is. Awesome.

My husband should try this on me sometime... maybe I'll clean up around this dump.

Janalyn and Rob said...

So that's all it takes?

I don't know that I am ballsy enough to say that. Once I say it, I then give him free range to say it back to me...and I am a BABY. Yes, I can totally dish it out, but I can't take it. Like at all.

LCO's said...

Oh my hell your a genius.

Anonymous said...

Nice, I will totally try this!

And I find that the kitchen counter is a much better place to store used condoms.

The Nice One said...

Okay< i am totally trying that tonight. Husband's perpetually nasty growing pile of crap is realy starting to bug me.

Amy B. said...

Oh. My. God. My husband does the exact same thing on our dresser. I am so trying this trick tomorrow.

CLUFF FAMILY said...

I wish that worked- love your new blog! Did you do it?

AiringMyLaundry said...

Love this.

I just used the line on my husband to do the dishes.

He was all, "EXCUSE me?"

Julia said...

Holy S-Bomb. That. Is. MAGIC!!!!

Lori said...

With my luck my 3 year old would hear it and start saying that. Oops...sorry Grandma, I don't know where she heard that from!! ;)

Hernandez Family said...

Totally gonna try this!!!

Ms. Wanda said...

Um, I think my husband would say, "What did you call me?" I'll give it a try:)

Liz Mays said...

I'm going to try this but I guarantee I won't get the same result.

LadyStyx said...

*laffin*

Nope. That won't work here. Now "Do it or no sex for you" seems to work just fine...

Justine said...

Get out! It did NOT work! Did he really clean the dresser with nothing more than you calling him a dick? Cool!

And LOL at the used condoms. Too funny.

Justine :o )

Anonymous social worker said...

I love how everyone here refers to us men as an inferior race that can controlled with one command such as dick! LOL.
women run the blog sphere.

Debbie said...

I LOVE your new look. I'm trying to get one myself. It is hard for me!
Love this post too and the list of items on his dresser is priceless.

Kasey said...

Love your new blog look!!

Anonymous social worker said...

oh shit they blocked me? man, mother fuckers need to be more open minded adult content you know?

3 Bay B Chicks said...

Are you Dr. Phil? Poob, this is downright genius.

I swear I need everything I need to know from the Internet...or should the word, Internet, simply be replaced with Pooba?

Things to ponder...

-Francesca

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

I like it! I am going to try it. Like STAT

Stacy Uncorked said...

I am SO going to try this...hubby has several mountains that need to be tended to. ;)

Megan said...

LMAO!! Frickin hilarious!!