Monday, September 29, 2008

Our Sweet Bain

Last Thursday Alex and I found out that our sweet Bain was dying. For those of you who do not know Bain he is one of our dogs, he is a Mastiff.




Alex works with his dad Terry at his Vet Hospital and Alex had been taking Bain to work with him everday for about 2 weeks because Bain had a problem with his back legs. He is quite a big dog and very clumsy so we thought he had just sprained his ankle, but he started losing weight fast and was having a hard time walking.



Alex called me at work on Thursday to tell me we needed to discuss Bain's condition and that he wanted me to go to the Animal Clinic to talk with him. So I left work right away, somehow I already knew what he was going to tell me, but I didn't want to believe it. It was a very hard drive for me.

When I arrived at the clinic, I was a wreck. I saw Alex's face and I fell apart. Cris was there and she came in and hugged me and told me she was sorry but at this point I still didn't know what was wrong with Bain, I just wanted to talk to Terry so he could tell me what was going on.

Terry told me that our poor Bain had torn both his ACLs which was why he was walking incorrectly and dragging his feet on the cement causing his nails to bleed. Bain's bad back was the issue from the start, he had some deteriorated lumbar vertebrae in his lower back which was causing him pain. Bain had lost almost 30 pounds it seemed overnight! His muscles were deteriorating and he could not use his back legs.

Terry is the best Vet in Utah so I trust his opinion and he said basically Bain's condition would not get better. Alex and his father both agreed that there was no way he would live through any surgery because he had a gentic disease that was making him too weak. They explained that with all their experience with situations like this that it was worse to put the dog through so much torture just so we can keep him alive a little bit longer.


The following pictures are from the day Bain died, he was so skinny!


Finally I understood exactly what the consequences were and realized that Bain was in so much pain that he could never have a happy and pain free life. So the outcome of all that had happened was that Bain had to be put to sleep.

I told Alex that I wanted Bain to come back home to die with us by his side instead of at the hospital. So we brought Bain home with us and we were able to spend the last 45 minutes of his life together. Terry was kind enough to leave the hospital to put Bain to sleep in our backyard, Bain's favorite place.




I can't help but think if there was anything I could do to prevent this from happening, but Terry assured us that this was inevitable and that Bain couldn't have asked for a better life than what we were able to give him the last 2 & 1/2 years. So I can only be grateful for the time that we had with him and move on. I know this may seem very dramatic for some who do not understand how close you can become to a pet and how they can change your life, but they can and Bain did.

17 comments:

ashley said...

My heart is truely broken for you. I am literally wipping tears out of my eyes so I can see enough to type this. It is so painful to say goodbye to such a dear friend as I'm sure Bain was. He was a beautiful dog and so lucky to have the wonerful life I'm sure you and Alex provided him. I am so very sorry.

Silkman's said...

Oh Kel, I am so sorry. He was such a sweet dog. It is so hard to lose an animal they are part of the family. As I was reading your post it brought back memories when I met Clay at the animal hospital and they said that PeeWee had cancer and that we would have to put him down. It was so hard.

P.S. It was so good to see you yesterday. I miss ya. I feel like I never see you anymore.

LCO's said...

I'm crying all over again. You lost your little boy I'm so sorry, I love you and I'm going to miss kissing my nephews GIANT head.

Heath'e' said...

Kel that sucks!! I'm sooo, sooo sorry. I totally teared up for you, I understand how emotional it is, I've been there and one day will be there again with Saydee. I'm sad for you that you lost a member of your family! KISSES for you! muh

Cris said...

My dearest Kel and Alex. Words can not express the sorrow I feel as I read through this. I am so sorry of the passing of Bain. He was truly a wonderfu boy. He had such a wonderful life with you both, in fact a better life than he would of had. He was well loved and he knew it. Our time is coming with Kate and making these decisions is so difficult. You must know that he is no longer in pain and has probably taken over. I am so grateful you are in my life and our family

Cris said...

My dearest Kel and Alex. Words can not express the sorrow I feel as I read through this. I am so sorry of the passing of Bain. He was truly a wonderfu boy. He had such a wonderful life with you both, in fact a better life than he would of had. He was well loved and he knew it. Our time is coming with Kate and making these decisions is so difficult. You must know that he is no longer in pain and has probably taken over. I am so grateful you are in my life and our family

Anonymous said...

Kelly, I am so sorry. Some people think it's dumb to have an animal mean so much to you and be a part of your family, but I am not that way!!! It is so hard to lose your dog, I have been there and will one day be there again. I have also seen alot of dogs with back pain(obviously I'm not fully aware of Bain's whole situation) as I worked for a vet that specialized in disc surgery and decompression. It is so hard. I'm really sorry. How wonderful that you were able to take him back home for a while and to be together in your backyard.

Andrea Harper said...

Oh my, I'm totally bawling at work (how embarrassing). I was talking to Al about this yesterday and I seriously can't handle things like this! It is just so overwhelmingly sad. To have to see a member of your family in so much pain is so heartbreaking. Bain was seriously the sweetest thing and I know he had THE BEST life with you guys. You took him in after he was sick as a puppy and gave him everything he needed, but most of all you guys loved him so much. You'll see him in heaven one day and he'll give you enough slobbery kisses to make up for lost time :)

And I still owe you icecream :)

CLUFF FAMILY said...

My dear best friend, I am so sorry for your loss. It is true that you gave Bain a wonderful life. Look at what he had before you- he would not have lived as long and had a life full of joyous memories.
I love the picture of the two of you on the grass. It is so precious. I hope you are feeling better knowing that he is not in pain anymore. I love you so very much. You still have more kids at home to spoil! How is Dozer doing?
I am sure he is sad too. Give him a great big hug and kiss for me! Love you guys,
De

BSW said...

Kelly and Alex I am sitting here on my lunch break at work and I thought I would check out your blog. The moment I saw Bain's picture I started to cry! I am so very sorry for your loss! This post was so emotional and beautiful! I know I already told you this, but I totally believe there is a Dog Heaven and Bain is running around playing with no pain. Brandon and I love you guys so much!

John and Rachael Alexander said...

I'm also so sorry for your loss! Dogs really are family! I'm just glad ALL dogs go to heaven!

Cassie said...

Nice to meet you, SITSta!

It's so hard to lose a friend. I have had a handful of pets through my life, and each of them brought something special. We're lucky to have them while they're with us.

Megan said...

OMGosh! So so sad! If I weren't at work, I'd be bawling. Pets are so special and to lose them is like losing a part of yourself. (((HUGS)))

Megan said...

OMGosh! So so sad! If I weren't at work, I'd be bawling. Pets are so special and to lose them is like losing a part of yourself. (((HUGS)))

Queenie Jeannie said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Animals ARE part of our families, and yes, I understand that. I know you will really cherish those memories!!!!

I think it was really sweet of your husband to give you that momento. Sounds like you are one really blessed lady!!

BloggessJ said...

Visiting from SITS.

We had to put our oldest dog down yesterday and I think that was probably THE hardest thing that I've ever had to deal with. It's hard to look at the tufts of black dog hair and not tear up a little bit.

Michelle said...

Yes, I knew it would be sad and I knew I would cry. And I did. Dogs are my weakness. I love them all. Big dogs are the biggest babies and so gentle. My little Sugar is sweet but he is nasty. He goes after all the big dogs that walk down the street like he is a bad ass and they just look at him and don't bark or anything. I know they are thinking, "I could eat you in one bite little man".

That is so sweet that the vet came to your house to help and I saw Dozer's paw in the picture too. That is so sweet.