Monday, April 20, 2009

I Should Be In St. George Right Now.

Yesterday was just a typical day in the life of Grand Pooba, starting out the day with a steamin hot caramel macchiato and ending the day by falling asleep while reading a book. What happened in between was not so ordinary.

About 3:00 yesterday I had just finished frosting some cupcakes (wearing my new Easter Apron of course) when I got a phone call from my sister. I answered the phone (which in itself is a miracle, your welcome Lindee) and she started small talk, the usual, what ya doin? Oh, that's cool. etc. When I finally asked what she's up to and she replied by casually saying,

"Oh we're just stranded."




I'm thinking Okay, she lost her keys again. But she told me what happened, Lin (sis), Lance (her husband) and Logan (their adorable child) went to Emigration Canyon to hike and hang out, and when they were ready to leave, the car key broke off in the trunk keyhole so they couldn't start the car.

And Lindee made sure that I was aware that this time,


IT. WAS. NOT. HER. FAULT.


It was her hub who broke the key off in the lock. Which of course I didn't believe because I can't count how many times she has locked her keys in the car or lost her keys, cell phone, wallet, Logan, & her mind. etc. etc. (Just kidding bout the Logan part, please don't call child services)


So I told her I'd come and pick them up. I had no idea where Emigration Canyon was (yes I've lived in Utah 27 years and still didn't know) So Lance gave me some directions and I go to google maps and got directions from my house, which Google tells me is 46 minutes away.




I threw a few water bottles and a batch of cupcakes in the car and I was on my way. Of course I hit traffic on the freeway which made the drive very pleasant for me. Finally I get into the canyon and I'm driving, and driving, and driving expecting to run right into Lin & Lance at the end of the road. After driving over an hour I start seeing office buildings and realize I just drove right through the whole canyon to the other side.


Shit.


So I call them up and it turns out they were giving me directions from the opposite way that I came. Whoops, my fault no wonder I couldn't find them! So I had to turn around and drive back into the Canyon, this time the directions were right on, imagine that.

So after 2 hours of driving, I finally found them. Grand Pooba to the rescue! Too bad I left my tights and cape at home. So we packed them up and were we are finally on our way out of the canyon, again.

Logan was doin so great, he was so cute and happy to see me, but of course who wouldn't be? So we ate cupcakes and I drove them up to Layton where they borrowed my baby sis's car to drive another 20 minutes up North to get their spare keys, and then drive back up the canyon to their car.

My part was done! Phew! I felt so bad for them, because they're journey was still not done! But I finally was able to drive back south to Sandy and I end up getting home at 7:00 pm. Lets see, I left at 3:00, got back at 7:00, that's 4 hours spent driving!




I could've driven to St. George in that amount of time and be mooching off my BFF DeAnna, pinching her kids' cute cheeks and raiding her refrigerator right now!


Yep De, you are so missing out! I blame Lindee.

35 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I don't really know where Emigration Canyon is either. YOu are a great sister.

Crazee Juls said...

Can I just say, coming from someone who lives in flat, dry, treeless Tx...that you're so lucky to live in that beautiful place?

I am the queen of forgetful, so I can totally relate to your sis.. Even though it wasn't her fault *this* time, I've had to be rescued a time or two myself....

Glad you thought to bring the cupcakes...You are a super hero!

Anonymous said...

Well aren't you a good sister! I would have pretended my phone lost power....

Paging Doctor Mommy said...

AWWWWW... would you be my sister too because from the sounds of it, you are a keeper!
By the way, there is no better way to start the day than with a hot caramel macchiato!

mommakin said...

Well, at least it looks like you had a pretty day for it...

Sisters that good deserve treats. I hope you gave yourself a treat.

theUngourmet said...

What an ordeal! You are a great sister! At least it wasn't mid August and 100 degrees out!

Unknown said...

for a minute i thought they were stuck in immigration.

then i kept reading.

i tend to jump to conclusions fairly quick.

sorry about the loooooong journey. but i'm sure you will earn some brownie points for it.

and where is st.george?

Call Me Cate said...

What an unselfish sister you are! To come to the rescue and bring cupcakes? You should be careful or they'll start deliberately stranding themselves so you can rescue them again!

Amy B said...

Ummm....If I call you and I am stuck in my laundry room underneath my pile of dirty wash will you come with food and save me? Pretty please...

Suzi said...

And the Sister of the Year Award goes to.....GRAND POOBA!

Rebecca Jo said...

I love that your sister was just doing small talk at first - & you had to ask what she was doing...

I'd be screaming when someone would pick up the phone "COME GET ME!!!"

What a good sister you are! Am I sensing tickets to another concert for payment??? :o)

Kathy B! said...

I'm giving you a shiny gold medal for "Good Sisterly-ness." yeah, I know... makes no sense but it's the thought that counts! Well done.

Kasey said...

You are a fab sister!! Way to help her out.

Unknown said...

Too bad St. George isn't some fancy island. That would make the driving worth it!

angi_b72 said...

waht a great Seeeeeeeester you are!!!

ChicagoLady said...

I'm sure they appreciated the cupcakes WAY more than if you had shown up in tights and a cape, lol.

That was really nice of you to go and get them, and despite the traffic, you had some really nice scenery along the way. And now you know where Emigration Canyon is, you're edumacated now.

Michelle said...

That's what you get for being nice. Hope you learned your lesson.

ashley said...

Yep, everyone else is right. You are a good sister! All though, it would have been a little more dramatic had you actually shown up in your tights and cape. Lets work on that next time... okeydoke?

Mamarazzi said...

i THINK you just posted a story about saving your sis and her fam from being stranded in a canyon, but i kind stopped paying attention after cupcakes...mmmm cupcakes.

The Wife O Riley said...

My sister lives in Florida and I'm in Chicago. All I could tell her if she called me stranded is "Consult AAA" and eat all the cupcakes myself.

LadyStyx said...

Goodness. I remember once my then husband (please read my now ex)lost his set of keys for an entire weekend. The blame was firmly his, no matter what he said.

angie said...

That's so funny that she was just chatting with you at first on the phone! I'm sure you arriving with cupcakes made things even better!

CLUFF FAMILY said...

SO is that all I have to do is call and say I am stranded and you will drive here? K- HELP I am stranded here in the middle of nowhere and YOU are the only one who can save me.... HEllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllLP!

CLUFF FAMILY said...

BTW a 'tweeker' is a twitter junkie- a name I made-up myself thank you very much!

Lee said...

I've NEVER done that, thank god.
Although I don't use my keys very often.
I'm going to be miserable when I do.

Jon and Steph said...

What an awesome sister you are! Way to think by bringing the water and cupcakes! That would suck so bad to be stranded like that.

The smart people that Jon and I are, never bring our cell phones when we go hiking! Ya we'd really be stranded.

Barely Domestic Mama said...

You drove through a canyon...that is awesome...not so awesome that you missed your sister and fam and that added to drive time. You are a great sister!

And now I need some cupcakes...geez. Can you send some over here?! :)

Denise said...

I love spur of the moment road trips that turn into adventures! And being surrounded by four kids most of the time, I LOVE silent road trips!

And cupcakes really, really help!

jsfeatherstone said...

What the adventure Kell! Oh man, I am just as directionally challenged--oh wait, they gave you the wrong directions. Love it.....you and your cupcake care free day!

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

If I get stranded, will you bring me cupcakes? No wonder the boy was so happy to see you! Kidding, I'm sure he'd love you without the cupcakes.

black betty said...

talk about a road trip. :)

Cher said...

Okay..i'm going to be stalking you for a little while. this makes me miss UTAH! i've been gone for a year...too long!

LCO's said...

I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!! Best sista eva.

nikkicrumpet said...

You are a good sister....you are totally not in touch with your surroundings however. How can you live in Utah that long and not know where immigration canyon is? That is too funny!

Megan said...

OHMYWORD! You brought CUPCAKES? Hello! Send them to ME! I'll get stranded just for that!

You're such a good sister! You deserve a great, big reward!